The destruction of the structure of the tooth is known as tooth decay and it can affect both the dentin layer as well as the enamel of the teeth. Tooth decay occurs when the foods that contain carbohydrates, cereals, breads, soda, milk, cakes, fruits or candy were left on the teeth.
The bacteria living in the mouth digest the foods turning them into acids. Plaque is formed when the acid, the bacteria, the saliva and the food debris combine to form plaque that clings to the teeth. The acids in the plaque dissolve the teeth’s enamel surface creating small holes in the teeth known as the cavities and that leads to complete decaying of the teeth.
Tooth decay happens to be an infectious disease and after common cold it is the most common disease that people get inflicted with.
Oral health is often taken for granted but you should understand that it is an essential part of the everyday life. So you should take care of your mouth. While brushing and flossing are of crucial significance for taking care of the oral health, here are certain steps that you can embrace for preventing cavities. Just take a look.
- Eat Healthy –For a good dental health the proper nutrition plays a major role. Limiting the amount of sugary drinks and eating the nutritional ones can help to prevent plaque from developing on the teeth. You should stay hydrated and drink plenty of water throughout the day. You should not make it a habit to opt for sugary drinks frequently. You must follow this practice in case of other snacks that contain sugar like the hard candies as well.
- Use a Toothpaste that Fights Cavities – There are a lot of toothpastes available today and each one comes with its own benefits. With so many options you can often get confused about which one will be the best for you. That is why you should make it a point to use the fluoride-based toothpaste. Fluoride is one mineral that not only helps to prevent cavities but also strengthens the teeth. As an adult, you must use at least 1000ppm of toothpaste. If you really have weak teeth, then the dentist can suggest a high-fluoride toothpaste for you. Kids can use start to use fluoride-based toothpaste as soon as they can spit it out as by ingesting it fluorosis can be formed that cause the teeth discolouration.
- Floss Daily and Use a Mouthwash – The floss and the mouthwash can remove the bacteria from the places in between the teeth that is impossible for the brush to reach. You should ideally use the mouthwash every time you use your teeth and floss on a daily basis before bed.
- Consider the Dental Sealants – You should ask the dentist whether you can get sealants. These are capable of sealing off the grooves, crannies and nooks where the food can get trapped easily. Naturally, sealants can help to prevent dental issues and decay. Added to that, the sealants can last up to a decade with appropriate dental care.
- Keep Yourself Hydrated for the Health of the Teeth -For the health of your body, water happens to be undoubtedly the best thing to drink even though it can sound a bit cliché. Most of the cities now consist of added fluoride in the water supply and it is vital for building strong teeth. The tap water also contributes towards healthy mouth and teeth by supplying them with useful minerals and flushing away the bacteria that help to keep the mouth hydrated and healthy. Water also happens to be sugar-free and you can drink as much as you want without damaging the teeth.
- Chew the Sugarless Gums – By chewing certain sugarless gums, you can prevent cavities by enhancing the saliva flow in the mouth. The sugarless gums when chewed stimulates the production of saliva that assists in washing away and neutralising the bacteria or the food particles that are left on the teeth after a meal. It helps to offer nice breath, too.
- Visit the Dentist on a Regular Basis – Though this is somewhat obvious, but many people would go at length without visiting the dentist because if they are not in any kind of pain, they assume that their oral health is just perfect. Actually, if you visit your nearest dentist on a regular basis, she can detect the potential oral problems prior to them turning into painful, big and expensive issues. Moreover, she can also offer a comprehensive cleaning of the mouth with the help of specialist equipment that assist in retaining the beautiful smile. Most dentists are of the opinion that one should go for a clean—up, check-up and polish at least twice every year preferably after every 6 months.
The above are some of the things that you should keep in mind in order to keep cavities at bay and restore your beautiful smile and a great oral health year after year.
Sawoni Chowdhury is an aficionado of writing. She is an expert writer and blogger and shares her views and opinions on a range of topics such as Lifestyle, Business, Entertainment and lot more.